Sunday, May 3, 2009

Characteristics of an Effective Principal

A few years back when I was still teaching English, I served on a principal interview committee. The day before we began the interviews, I asked my students to list the characteristics that make a good principal. I still have the list. In fact, I keep it tacked to my bulletin board at work.
  • Good attitude
  • Nice
  • Non-discriminatory
  • Real
  • Sense of humor/personality
  • Flexible
  • Honest/fair
  • Well mannered
  • Someone who isn't dumb
  • Involved
  • Belief in students and know their potential
  • Remember what it's like to be a teenager
  • Support students in the extracurricular things
  • Non-judgmental
  • Understanding
  • Young and fun
I was deeply touched when one of my students turned to me and said, "You know Ms. Crandall, you could be a principal. You have all these characteristics." From that moment on, I have sought to embody what my students think makes a good principal. I'm not sure I can always be young, but I am certainly young at heart . . . and I'm trying my best to keep from being dumb.

No comments: